Donald H. Nichols
Having founded what is now known as Nichols Kaster in 1974, Donald H. Nichols has over 35 years of experience in the practice of law. Don is committed to his client’s best interests and is relentless in achieving remarkable results for his clients.
His representation set the example for others in the firm to follow: taking all possible measures to professionally represent his clients, taking risks against large, better-financed opponents, and not allowing the financial limitations of clients to impede his zealous advocacy.
Don is also a Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) Certified Trial Specialist and has tried over 100 cases to verdict. He has litigated close to 50 overtime and minimum wage class and collective actions on behalf of thousands of clients and has obtained over $50 million dollars for those clients.
Don’s national reputation has provided him the opportunity to lecture at over 100 seminars involving a myriad of legal topics, including electronic discovery, class action litigation strategies, wage and hour litigation, and recent developments in the law.
- United States Supreme Court
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- New York Supreme Court
- 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court – District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court – Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Wisconsin
- State Bar of Georgia
- J.D. University of Minnesota Law School, 1971
- B.A. Augsburg College, 1968
Publications / Speaking Engagements
- Panelist for “Professionalism: What Is It and Why Should It Matter to You?” 38th Annual Labor & Employment Law Institute (Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2011).
- Panelist for “What Lawyers Love and Hate About Mediators and Arbitrators.” 14th Annual ADR Institute (Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2011).
- Panelist for "Advanced Trial Practice, Plaintiff's Panel for Winning FLSA Cases." Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute (St. Paul, Minnesota, 2008).
- "Technology in the Practice & Workplace." ABA Mid-year Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, 2008.
- "Advanced Issues in Handling FLSA Collective Actions." 17th Annual National NELA Convention, 2006.
- "Advanced Trial Practice: Impact Litigation." Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, 2006.
- "A Starting Point – Helpful FLSA Cases for Plaintiffs’ Lawyers." 8th Circuit NELA Conference, 2006.
Titles / Awards / Memberships
- Named to the Super Lawyers list, Minnesota Super Lawyers, Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine, and Twin Cities Business, 2013-2017
- College of Labor and Employment Lawyers Fellow
- Named one of "The Best Lawyers in America"
- Named one of the “Top 40 Employment Law Lawyers,” Minnesota Law and Politics
- Named in “Who’s Who in Employment Law,” Minnesota Law and Politics
- MSBA Certified Trial Specialist
- Received Martindale Hubbell A.V. rating
- Law and Leading Attorneys Member
- American Bar Association Member
- National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) Member
- Minnesota National Employment Lawyers Association (MNELA) Member
- Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee Member