Matthew H. Morgan
Matthew H. Morgan is a skilled litigator who uses his creativity and practical insight to achieve successful results for clients. Matt has tried many jury and bench trials to verdict in state and federal courts. In 2012, Matt tried two jury trials against large health organizations and received plaintiff verdicts in each of them. And in September, Matt obtained a substantial jury verdict for his client on a First Amendment retaliation claim. Matt is committed to protecting employee rights in the workplace.
Matt works on nationwide multi-plaintiff collective and class action cases. He also represents individual clients in a variety of employment-related matters involving non-competition and non-solicitation provisions of employment and separation agreements, discrimination, retaliation, professional licensure, sexual harassment, breach of duty of loyalty, unfair competition, and breach of contract.
Matt is a member of Nichols Kaster’s Management Committee charged with running the day-to-day operations of the firm. He has been an adjunct faculty member at William Mitchell College of Law where he taught representation skills to first-year students and advanced advocacy to second and third-year law students, and is a frequent lecturer on various litigation-related topics.
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court – District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Wisconsin
- J.D. William Mitchell College of Law, 2000
- B.A. University of Minnesota, 1996
Publications / Speaking Engagements
- Co-Presenter, "Lessons Learned From Mock Trials" National Employment Lawyers Association 2013 Annual Convention, Denver, CO, June 2013.
- Moderator, Video Replay of "The Complete Lawyer" Minnesota CLE, June 2013.
- Co-Presenter, "The Lessons of Mock Trials" Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, Minneapolis, MN, May 2013.
- "The Complete Lawyer: Quick Answers to Questions about Workplace Law" Minnesota CLE Webcast, April 2013.
- Online segments for Minnesota CLE’s “Complete Lawyer” series, August 2012.
- “The Enemy’s Point of View: Hot Topics in Employment Litigation from the Perspective of an Employee’s Attorney.” SMAHRA 2012. Employment Law Seminar, Mankato, MN, 2012.
- "Settlement and Release Considerations." Minnesota CLE’s Wage and Hour Conference, Minneapolis, MN, 2012.
- “Focus Groups and Mock Trials” Eighth Circuit NELA Conference, April 2012.
- "The Complete Lawyer: Workplace Law Plaintiff and Defense Perspectives." Presenter for MN CLE, 2011 and 2012.
- "The Wage & Hour War: Picking and Choosing Your Battles in FLSA Litigation." Presenter for MN CLE, 2010.
- "Taking and Defending Depositions in Employment Litigation" Seminar sponsored by the National Employment Lawyers Association, 2009.
- Author of 2008 MN Association for Justice, 2008 Employment Law Handbook, (5th Ed. Chapter 7: The Fair Labor Standards Act, 2008).
- "New Lawyers Continuing Legal Education." Seminar for the Hennepin County Bar Association, 2003.
- Co-Presenter, 2003-2004 Henson & Efron Seminar Series, co-sponsored by ADP & U.S. Bank, Accountant Liability Issues, 2003.
- Presenter on the topic of Discovery for a Continuing Legal Education course offered by MILE, 2003.
- "Minnesota's Civil Damages Act: Unanswered Questions" (26 Wm. Mitchell L. Rev. 239, 2000).
Titles / Awards / Memberships
- Named to the Rising Stars list, Minnesota Super Lawyers, Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine, and Twin Cities Business
- Named to the Who’s Who in Employment Lawyers list, Minnesota Law and Politics
- American Bar Association Member
- Federal Bar Association Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association Member
- Minnesota Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- National Employment Lawyers Association Member