Reena I. Desai
Reena I. Desai is a partner at Nichols Kaster, PLLP, in the firm’s Minneapolis office. She is a skilled and meticulous litigator, who has represented thousands of employees in class and collective actions to recover unpaid overtime, minimum wages, commissions, and other types of compensation. Reena has dedicated the majority of her career to helping employees recover unpaid wages, and has also advocated for employees in cases involving race, age and disability discrimination.
Reena has been asked to share her knowledge and experience with her peers, serving as a speaker at several national conferences. She has lectured on topics including wage and hour litigation, electronic discovery issues, and mediation/settlement. Reena also serves as a board member for the Minnesota Justice Foundation, a legal non-profit in Minnesota, and has been named a Rising Star by Minnesota Super Lawyers every year since 2014.
Reena graduated from the University of Minnesota Law School in 2007, where she was honored with the Dorothy O. Lareau award for writing during her first year, and she earned a B.A. in Economics and Psychology in 2002 from George Washington University.
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Wisconsin
- J.D. University of Minnesota Law School, 2007, cum laude
- B.A. George Washington University, 2002, magna cum laude
Publications / Speaking Engagements
- “Compelling Issues at the Intersection of Class Actions and Arbitrations: Be Careful What You Wish For!” American Bar Association, Employment Rights and Responsibilities (ERR) Committee Midwinter Meeting, Clearwater, FL, 2018.
- “Deposing Named Plaintiffs in Class Litigation: Leveraging Issues of Adequacy and Commonality,” Strafford Webinar, January 2018
- “Money, Money, Money: How to Deal with Defendants’ Financial Condition Pre- & Post Bankruptcy,” National Employment Lawyers Association 2017 Annual Convention, San Antonio, TX, June 2017.
- “Mediating and Resolving Class and Collective Claims: Getting from ‘No’ to ‘Si,’” American Bar Association, Employment Rights and Responsibilities (ERR) Committee Midwinter Meeting, Puerto Vallarta, 2017.
- Contributing Author to the ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law, The Fair Labor Standards Act Treatise: Midwinter Supplement, 2011-2017.
- “Deposing Named Plaintiffs in Class Litigation,” Strafford Webinar, December 2016.
- “To Move or Not to Move: That is the Question,” National Employment Lawyers Association Summary Judgment Conference, Cincinnati, OH, October 2016.
- “FLSA Settlements: From a Judge's, Plaintiff's & Defendant's Perspective,” Hennepin County Bar Association CLE, Minneapolis, MN, 2015.
- “Authentication and Admissibility of Evidence,” National Business Institute Video Webcast, 2015.
- “Federal E-Discovery and Evidence,” National Business Institute Video Webcast, 2015.
- “Discovery and Applying the Rules of Evidence in Federal Court,” National Business Institute Video Webcast, 2014.
- Panel Speaker at Employment and Labor Law Association Event, University of St. Thomas Law School, 2012-2013.
- Panel Speaker at Employment Practitioner Event, University of Minnesota, 2009.
- Panel Speaker at the University of Minnesota Civil Rights Conference, 2007.
Titles / Awards / Memberships
- Fair Labor Standards Act Committee Member for the development of the Initial Discovery Protocols for FLSA actions, 2017
- Minnesota Justice Foundation, Board Member, Co-Chair of Personnel Committee, Fundraising Committee Member
- Diversity and Inclusion in the Legal Profession (DILP) Liaison for the ERR Standing Committee of the ABA Labor and Employment Section
- Named to the Rising Stars list, Minnesota Super Lawyers, Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine, and Twin Cities Business, 2014 - 2017
- Named to The Top Women Attorneys in Minnesota List, 2016
- Minnesota State Bar Association – Labor and Employment Law Section Member
- National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) Member
- Outstanding Achievement Award for Employment Discrimination Law, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2007
- Dorothy O. Lareau Award, University of Minnesota, 2005