Reena I. Desai
Reena I. Desai is a skilled and meticulous litigator who has represented employees in class and collective actions as well as individual cases. Reena has dedicated the majority of her career to helping thousands of employees recover unpaid wages, and has also handled cases involving race and disability discrimination.
Before joining Nichols Kaster, Reena practiced at a large law firm in Minneapolis, where she worked on complex litigation and advocated for several pro-bono clients concerning a variety of issues. Reena graduated from the University of Minnesota Law School, where she was honored with the Dorothy O. Lareau award for writing during her first year and received the Outstanding Achievement Award for Employment Discrimination Law from the Minnesota State Bar Association in 2007.
- Minnesota Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court – District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Wisconsin
- J.D. University of Minnesota Law School, 2007, cum laude
- B.A. George Washington University, 2002, magna cum laude
Publications / Speaking Engagements
- “Money, Money, Money: How to Deal with Defendants’ Financial Condition Pre- & Post Bankruptcy,” National Employment Lawyers Association 2017 Annual Convention, San Antonio, TX, June 2017.
- “Mediating and Resolving Class and Collective Claims: Getting from ‘No’ to ‘Si,’” American Bar Association, Employment Rights and Responsibilities (ERR) Committee Midwinter Meeting, Puerto Vallarta, 2017.
- “Deposing Named Plaintiffs in Class Litigation,” Strafford Webinar, December 2016.
- “To Move or Not to Move: That is the Question,” National Employment Lawyers Association Summary Judgment Conference, Cincinnati, OH, October 2016.
- Contributing Author to the ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law, The Fair Labor Standards Act Treatise: Midwinter Supplement, 2011-2016.
- “FLSA Settlements: From a Judge's, Plaintiff's & Defendant's Perspective,” Hennepin County Bar Association CLE, Minneapolis, MN, 2015.
- “Authentication and Admissibility of Evidence,” National Business Institute Video Webcast, 2015.
- “Federal E-Discovery and Evidence,” National Business Institute Video Webcast, 2015.
- “Discovery and Applying the Rules of Evidence in Federal Court,” National Business Institute Video Webcast, 2014.
- Panel Speaker at Employment and Labor Law Association Event, University of St. Thomas Law School, 2012-2013.
- Panel Speaker at Employment Practitioner Event, University of Minnesota, 2009.
- Panel Speaker at the University of Minnesota Civil Rights Conference, 2007.
Titles / Awards / Memberships
- Named to The Top Women Attorneys in Minnesota List, 2016
- Named to the Rising Stars list, Minnesota Super Lawyers, Minneapolis/St. Paul Magazine, and Twin Cities Business, 2014 - 2017
- Minnesota Justice Foundation, Board Member
- FLSA Discovery Protocols Committee Member
- American Bar Association Member
- Federal Bar Association Minnesota Chapter Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association – Labor and Employment Law Section Member
- National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) Member
- Outstanding Achievement Award for Employment Discrimination Law, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2007
- Dorothy O. Lareau Award, University of Minnesota, 2005